Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mrs. Williams' Pound Cake

Mrs. Williams’ Pound Cake


Del's mother was a wonderful Southern cook. One of her specialties was her pound cake. It is the best I ever put in my mouth, perhaps because it is made with powdered sugar instead of granulated. This cake has a very small crumb and is dense, but it melts in your mouth. I never saw the recipe anywhere else, but it is so destinctive in taste and texture that I was able to recognize it the only other time I ever ate it. One of the parents brought it to the reception after one of Rosa's piano recitals.

The cake is delicious all by itself, but is wonderful as a base for strawberry or any other kind of shortcake. Because of its texture, it works well when cut into cubes for chocolate fondue. Del’s favorite way to eat it is to put a slice in a bowl, add fruit and pour milk over it.

I have always said I married Del to get this recipe, and he has always said that if that is true, you would think I would make it more often than every ten years or so. Fact is, I don't like to bake because flour messes up the kitchen. Bakers also have to be quite precise in their measuring and timing, and I'm more a slap and dash cook.

Niece Sarah likes to bake, and she is getting married in October, so I am posting her grandmother's recipe in her honor. Maybe she will make it more often for Miles than I have for her uncle, or get him to make it for her.

Recipe

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 ½ cups butter , softened (no substitute)
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
6 large eggs
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup milk

Sift flour and sugar separately. Cream together sugar, vanilla and butter . Add alternately the eggs, flour and milk to the creamed ingredients, beating well after each addition. Pour into greased tube or Bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour in preheated oven at 325 degrees. Wooden skewer inserted just off center should come out clean.

Try to let it cool before cutting yourself a great big old piece. This cake freezes well, but be sure to wrap it carefully. Glad Press and Seal and a freezer bag would probably be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment