Saturday, September 24, 2011

Baked Vidalia Onion Dip

If Del were listing his favorite things to eat, this recipe would be close to the top of the list. I usually make it once or twice a year when lots of people are around so he won’t be able to eat the whole thing all by himself. I don’t recall where I got this recipe. Probably someone brought it to a potluck, and we begged until given the recipe.

Our family is divided on the subject of onions. David likes them. In fact, when he was quite young, and became cranky while I was cooking dinner, a slice of onion often improved his disposition. I can’t remember how I landed on that as a snack for a small child. Seems strange when I think about it.

Tracy and Rosa don’t care for them one bit. They don’t seem to mind onion powder so much, so it may be a texture thing instead of just a matter of the taste. Tracy’s mother, Sally Stenberg, another really good Southern cook, makes her turkey dressing part with and part without onion so her whole family will enjoy it.

Recipe:

Combine equal parts grated Vidalia onions, mayonnaise and grated Swiss cheese, add a sprinkle of paprika or red pepper and spoon into a sprayed casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until brown and bubbly. A knife will come out pretty clean. Remove from oven and use paper towels to blot up the grease on top of the casserole. Serve with crackers or slices of baguette. Of course you could also just apply directly to waist and hips, ‘cause that’s where much of it is going to end up. The rest will be in your arteries.

Note: I have been told that only Vidalia onions will work in the recipe, but I don’t know. I use Duke's mayonnaise when it's available, it's a regional product, so use your favorite brand. The empty mayonnaise jar works perfectly for measuring the onions and the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment